Professor Adrian Woolf MA MD
Chair in Paediatric Science
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)161 275 1534
Michael Smith Building
University of Manchester
- Chair of Paediatric Science, University of Manchester
- Member of cross faculty Renal Biology Group
- Member of Greater Manchester Academic Nephrology Network http://www.gmann.co.uk
- Institute of Human Development Academic Fund Raising Lead
- Lead for Phase II Nutrition, Metabolism and Excretion Module, Manchester Medical School
- Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Nephrology, Royal Manchester Children's Hospital
- Honorary Professor University College London
- Trustee and Alumni Lead, Kidney Research UK
Memberships of Committees and Professional Bodies
- Academic Paediatrics Association GBI
- American Society of Nephrology
- Association of Physicians of Great Britain and Ireland
- British Association for Paediatric Nephrology
- European Society of Pediatric Nephrology
- International Society of Nephrology
- Manchester Medical Society
- Manchester Paediatric Club
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- The Renal Association
"Defining kidney expression of Teashirt genes in health, injury and regeneration". With P Ranjzad. Funded by Kids Kidney Research.
"Uro-facial syndrome: a novel genetic model to understand human renal tract function and malformation". With WG Newman, EN Hilton, EA McKenzie and NA Roberts. Funded by Kidney Research UK.
"Proteomic analyses of kidney glomerular extracelllar matrix in health and disease". With R Lennon and M Randles. Funded by Kids Kidney Research.
"Restoring the angiopoietin balance as a therapy for glomerular disease" With DA Long and M Kolatsi-Joannou (UCL) and L Gnudi (KCL). Funded by Kidney Research UK
"Urofacial syndrome: a novel genetics model to understand human urinary tract malformations" With HM Stuart and WG Newman. Funded by the Wellcome Trust.
"A qualitative study exploring the benefits of a new joint speciality renal genetic clinic for patients and their families" With B Kerr, M Palm and M McAllister. Funded by British Renal Society,
"Are mutations in Alport syndrome genes associated with encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis?" With A Summers and F Flinter (KCL). Funded by Kidneys for Life.
"UK Regenerative Medicine Platform Safety Hub" With S Williams, S Kimber, R Lennon and MC Asselin. Funded by MRC/BBSRC/EPSRC.
"Exploring whether small bowel can be lengthened in an ex vivo model" With A Morabito and R Coletta. Funded by the CMFT Short Bowel Reseach Fund.
"Using zebrafish to implicate novel genes in the early stages of diabetic kidney disease" With DA Long (UCL), S Wilson (UCL ) and M Kolatsi-Joannou (UCL). Funded by Diabetes UK.
"Molecular bases of congenital bladder diseases". With NJ Gardiner, WG Newman, NA Roberts and EN HIlton. Funded by MRC.
"Understanding human urinary tract malformations" With N Greenhough and WG Newman. Funded by RCP Wolfson Foundation Intercalated Degree Fellowship.
"Genetic characterisation of bladder exstrophy". With WG Newman and R Cervellione. Funded by Kidneys for Life.
Anatomy and biology of normal and abnormal renal tract development, differentiation and regeneration.
Novel translational therapies for congential and acquired kidney and urinary tract diseases using growth factors and precursor cells.
University of Manchester MB ChB programme
Lead for Phase II Nutrition, Metabolism and Excretion Module
Congratulations on recently awarded theses...
MPhil T Denny (University of Manchester; primary supervisor R Lennon) "The renal glomerulus as a model of extracellular matrix production in differentiation and normal ageing"
PhD J Huang (UCL; co-supervisors Dr DA Long and Dr PJ Winyard). "Polycystic kidney disease and the renal circulation"
Currently supervised MD student
R Coletta (University of Manchester; second supervisor A Morobito) "Exploring whether the small bowel can be lengthened in an ex vivo model"
Currently supervised PhD students
HM Stuart (University of Manchester; secondary supervisor WG Newman) "UnderstandIng genetic causes of renal tract abnormalities"
M Randles (University of Manchester; primary supervisor R Lennon) "Proteomic analyses of kidney glomerular matrix in health and disease"
A Gofrehi (University of Manchester; secondary supervisor K Hentges) "Microphthalmia genes and mammalian organogenesis"
S Adalat (UCL; co-supervisors D Bockenhauer and R Kleta) "The genetic basis of human non-syndromic renal tract malformations".
In 2010 I took up a new Chair, Professor of Paediatric Science in the Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences at the University of Manchester. I am also an Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Nephrology in the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital.
Previously, in 1998, I established an academic centre for Nephrology and Urology at the UCL Institute of Child Health, London, which I headed until the end of 2009.
My main research aim is to find out why pepole are sometimes born with abnormal kidneys, ureters and bladders. These are the main causes of children needing long term renal dialysis and kidney transplantation. I am also working on translational therapies, including those based on growth factors and precursor cells, for renal disease.
My research and development work unites Nephrology, Urology, Genetics, Fetal Medicine and Histopathology clinical services with perspectives from Developmental, Cell Biology and Genomic sciences.
I have published over 125 original research publications with a major focus on the kidney and urinary tract. I have supervised clinical and science students leading to eleven PhD, three MD and two MSc awarded theses.
From 2006-2009 I undertook a clinic at Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, focusing on renal tract malformations, which had an impact on diagnosis of these conditions and genetic counseling. With clinical genetics and adult nephrology colleagues, I established a similar clinic in the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital in 2010. In 2012, we established another clinic, in St Mary's Hospital, to assess adults with a family history of kidney disease.
I was a Trustee and Honorary Secretary of The Renal Association (2000-2004). I was the Research Secretary of the British Association for Paediatric Nephrology (2000-2002). I served on the National Kidney Research Fund grants committee (1997-2002). I became a Trustee of Kidney Research UK in 2012, with a special remit in the Alumni programme.
- 1968-1974 St Paul's School, London
- 1975-1978 Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
- 1978-1981 Westminster Medical School, London
- 1981 MB BS, University of London
- 1982 MA, University of Cambridge
- 1984 MRCP II UK
- 1989 MD Thesis, University of London
Collaborators and affiliated staff
University of Manchester and CMFT - Main Collaborators
- William G. Newman (Professor of Translational Genomic Medicine, Institute of Human Development)
- Bronwyn Kerr (Consultant Geneticist/Honorary Lecturer in Genetics, St Mary's Hospital)
- Marisha Palm (Psychologist, Nowgen)
- Helen Stuart (Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Fellow, Institute of Human Development)
- Edward A McKenzie (Senior Experimental Officer, Faculty of Life Sciences)
- Emma N. Hilton (Stepping Stone Research Fellow, Institute of Human Development)
- Philip J Day (Reader in Quantitative Analytical Genomics, Manchester Institute of Biotechnology)
- Angela Summers (Nephrology Research Fellow, MRI)
- Rachel Lennon (Wellcome Trust Intermediate Clinical Fellow, Institute of Human Development)
- Nick Ashton (Senior Lecturer in Physiology, Faculty of Life Sciences)
- Natalie J. Gardiner (Lecturer in Neurobiology, Faculty of Life Sciences)
- Raimondo M. Cervellione (Paediatric Urologist, Royal Manchester Children's Hospital.
- Antonino Morabito (Paediatric Surgeon, Royal Manchester Children's Hospital)
External Institutes - Main Collaborators
University of Liverpool: Patricia Murray, Bettina Wilm and Kevin Park
Newcastle University: Judith A Goodship, Timothy HJ Goodship, Heather J Cordell and Heather J Lambert
UCL Institute of Child Health: David A Long, Paul JD Winyard, Jennifer Huang, Jenny Papakrivopoulou and Shazia Adalat
CNRS, Marseille: Laurent Fasano
University of Essen: Steffi Weber
- Dessapt-Baradez C, Woolf AS, White KE, Pan J, Huang JL, Hayward AA, Locatelli M, Diennet M, Price KL, Kolatsi-Joannou M, Webster Z, Smillie SJ, Nair V, Kretzler M, Cohen CD, Long DA, Gnudi L. (2014). Targeted glomerular angiopoietin-1 therapy for early diabetic nephropathy. Journal of the Amercian Society of Nephrology, 25, 33-42. eScholarID:203147
- Murray PA, Woolf AS. (2014). Using stem and progenitor cells to recapitulate kidney development and restore renal function. In press., eScholarID:215885
- Hillman KA, Woolf AS. (2013). Chapter 4. Inherited renal disease. In Feehally J, McIntyre CW, Cameron JS (Ed.), Landmark Papers in Nephrology: One hundred years of renal science. (pp. 86). Oxford UK: Oxford University Press. eScholarID:210930
- Anders C, Ashton N, Ranjzad P, Dilworth MR, Woolf AS. (2013). Ex vivo modeling of chemical synergy in prenatal kidney cystogenesis. PLoS ONE, 8, e57797. eScholarID:191094
- Huang JL, Woolf AS, Long DA. (2013). Angiogenesis and autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Pediatric Nephrology, 28, 1749-1755. eScholarID:203143
- Long DA, Kolatsi-Joannou M, Price KL, Dessapt-Baradez C, Papakrivopoulou E, Hubank M, Korstanje R, Gnudi L, Woolf AS. (2013). Albuminuria is associated with too few glomeruli and too much testosterone. Kidney International, 83(6), 1118-1129. eScholarID:191095 | DOI:10.1038/ki.2013.45
- Newman WG, Woolf AS, Stewart HM. (2013). Urofacial syndrome. GeneReviews, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK154138/. eScholarID:210378
- Shroff RC, Price KL, Kolatsi-Joannou M, Todd AF, Wells D, Deanfield J, Johnson RJ, Rees L, Woolf AS, Long DA. (2013). Circulating angiopoietin-2 is a marker for early cardiovascular disease in children on chronic dialysis. PLoS ONE, 8, e56273. eScholarID:191092
- Stuart HM, Roberts NA, Bergu B, Daly SB, Urquhart JE, Bhaskar S, Dickerson J, Mermerkaya M, Silay MS, Lewis MA, Olondriz BO, Gener B, Beetz C, Varga RE, Gülpınar O, Süer E, Yalçınkaya F, Gücük A, Yue WW, Erdogan F, Berry A, Hanley NA, McKenzie EA, Hilton EN, Woolf AS, Newman WG. (2013). LRIG2 mutations cause urofacial syndrome. American Journal of Human Genetics, 92, 259-264. eScholarID:191093
- Tai G, Ranjzad P, Marriage F, Rehman S, Denley H, Dixon J, Mitchell K, Day PJ, Woolf AS. (2013). Cytokeratin 15 marks basal epithelia in developing ureters and is upregulated in a subset of urothelial cell carcinomas. PLoS ONE, 8(e81167), eScholarID:213240
- Woolf AS, Davies JA. (2013). Cell biology of ureter development. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 24, 19-25. eScholarID:191088
- Woolf AS, Stuart HM, Newman WG. (2013). Genetics of human congenital urinary bladder disease. Pediatric Nephrology, PMID:23584850. eScholarID:203148
- Woolf AS, Stuart HM, Roberts NA, McKenzie EA, Hilton EN, Newman WG. (2013). Urofacial syndrome: a genetic and congenital disease of aberrant urinary bladder innervation. Pediatric Nephrology, PMID:23832138. eScholarID:203149
- Kerecuk L, Long DA, Ali X, Anders C, Kolatsi-Joannou M, Scambler PJ, Woolf AS. (2012). Expression of Fraser syndrome genes in normal and polycystic murine kidneys. Pediatric Nephrology, 27, 991-998. eScholarID:168350 | DOI:10.1007/s00467-012-2100-5
- Lee LM, Leung CY, Tang WW, Choi HL, Leung YC, McCaffery PJ, Wang CC, Woolf AS, Shum AS. (2012). A paradoxical teratogenic mechanism for retinoic acid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 109(34), 13668-13673. eScholarID:168354 | DOI:10.1073/pnas.1200872109
- Pitera JE, Turmaine M, Woolf AS, Scambler PJ. (2012). Generation of mice with a conditional null Fraser syndrome 1 (Fras1) allele. Genesis, 50, 892-896. eScholarID:191090
- Pitera JE, Woolf AS, Basson AM, Scambler PJ. (2012). Sprouty1 haploinsufficiency prevents renal agenesis in a model of Fraser syndrome. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 23, 1790-1796. eScholarID:191089
- Pitera JE, Woolf AS, Basson MA, Scambler PJ. (In-press). Sprouty1 haploinsufficiency prevents renal agenesis in a model of Fraser syndrome. Journal of the Amercian Society of Nephrology, eScholarID:175870
- Rak-Raszewska A, Wilm B, Edgar D, Kenny S, Woolf AS, Murray P. (2012). Development of embryonic stem cells in recombinant kidneys. Organogenesis, 8, 125-136. eScholarID:191091
- Lambert HJ, Stewart A, Gullett AM, Cordell HJ, Malcolm S, Feather SA, Goodship JA, Goodship TH, Woolf AS; on behalf of the UK VUR Study Group. (2011). Primary, Nonsyndromic Vesicoureteric Reflux and Nephropathy in Sibling Pairs: A United Kingdom Cohort for a DNA Bank. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 6, 760-766. eScholarID:121941 | DOI:10.2215/CJN.04580510
- Lopes CAM, Prosser SL, Romio L, Hirst RA, O'Callaghan C, Woolf AS, Fry AM. (2011). Centriolar satellites are assembly points for proteins implicated in human ciliopathies including oral-facial-digital syndrome 1. J Cell Sci, 124, 600-612. eScholarID:118346 | DOI:10.1242/jcs.077156
- Marks SD, Gullett AM, Brennan E, Tullus K, Jaureguiberry G, Klootwijk E, Stanescu HC, Kleta R, Woolf AS. (2011). Renal FMD may not confer a familial hypertensive risk nor is it caused by ACTA2 mutations. Pediatric Nephrology, 26, 1857-1861. eScholarID:130304 | DOI:10.1007/s00467-011-1891-0
- Weber S, Thiele H, Mir S, Toliat MR, Sozeri B, Reutter H, Draaken M, Ludwig M, Altmüller J, Frommolt P, Stuart HM, Ranjzad P, Hanley NA, Jennings R, Newman WG, Wilcox DT, Thiel U, Schlingmann K-P, Beetz R, Hoyer PF, Konrad M, Schaefer F, Nürnberg P, Woolf AS. (2011). Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor M3 mutation causes urinary bladder disease and a prune -belly-like syndrome. Am J Hum Genet, 89, 668-674. eScholarID:136152 | DOI:10.1016/j.ajhg.2011.10.007
- Woolf AS. (2011). Environmental influences on renal tract development: a focus on maternal diet and the glucocorticoid hypothesis. Klin Padiatr, 223, S10-S17. eScholarID:121942 | DOI:10.1055/s-0030-1255876
- Woolf AS. (2010). Genes, urinary tract development and human disease. In Gearhart JP, Rink RC, Mouriquand PDE (Ed.), Pediatric Urology. (pp. 172-179). Philadelphia: Elsevier. eScholarID:80434
- Adalat S, Bockenhauer D, Ledermann SE, Hennekam RC, Woolf AS. (2010). Renal malformations associated with mutations of developmental genes: messages from the clinic. Pediatric Nephrology, 11, 2242-2255. eScholarID:90072
- Chan S-K, Riley PR, Price KL, McElduff F, Winyard PJ, Welham SJ, Woolf AS, Long DA. (2010). Corticosteroid-induced kidney dysmorphogenesis is associated with deregulated expression of known cystogenic molecules, as well as indian hedgehog. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol, 298, F346-F356. eScholarID:77885 | DOI:10.1152/ajprenal.00574.2009
- Cordell HJ, Darlay R, Charoen P, Stewart A, Gullett AM, Lambert HJ, The UK VUR Study Group, Malcolm S, Feather SA, Goodship THJ, Woolf AS, Kenda RB, Goodship JA. (2010). Whole-genome linkage and association scan in primary, non-syndromic vesicoureteric reflux. J Am Soc Nephrol, 21, 113-123. eScholarID:77888 | DOI:10.1681/ASN.2009060624
- Daly SB, Urquhart JE, Hilton E, McKenzie EA, Kammerer RA, Lewis M, Kerr B, Stuart H, Donnai D, Long DA, Burgu B, Aydogdu O, Derbent M, Garcia-Minaur S, Reardon W, Gener B, Shalev S, Smith R, Woolf AS, Black GC, Newman WG. (2010). Mutations in HPSE2 cause urofacial syndrome. Am J Hum Genet, 11, 963-969. eScholarID:83802
- Farrugia MK, Woolf AS. (2010). Congenital urinary bladder outlet obstruction. Fetal and Maternal Medicine Review, 21, 155-173. eScholarID:80432
- Jenkins D, Caubit X, Dimovski A, Matevska N, Lye CM, Cabuk F, Gucev Z, Tasic V, Fasano L, Woolf AS. (2010). Analysis of TSHZ2 and TSHZ3 genes in congenital pelvi-ureteric junction obstruction. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 25, 54-60. eScholarID:77890 | DOI:10.1093/ndt/gfp453
- Lye CM, Fasano L, Woolf AS. (2010). Ureter myogenesis: putting Teashirt into context. J Am Soc Nephrol, 21, 24-30. eScholarID:80427 | DOI:10.1681/ASN.2008111206
- Mekahli D, Woolf AS, Bockenhauer D. (2010). Similar renal outcomes in children with ADPKD diagnosed by screening or presenting with symptoms. Pediatric Nephrology, 11, 2275-2282. eScholarID:90073
- Woolf AS. (2010). Angiopoietins: vascular growth factors looking for roles in glomeruli. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens, 19, 20-25. eScholarID:80429 | DOI:10.1097/MNH.0b013e328333025e
- Yates LY, Papakrivopoulou J, Long DA, Goggolidou P, Connolly JO, Woolf AS, Dean CH. (2010). The planar cell polarity gene Vangl2 is required for mammalian kidney branching morphogenesis and glomerular maturation. Human Molecular Genetics, 19, 4663-4676. eScholarID:93790 | DOI:10.1093/hmg/ddq397
- Woolf AS, Pitera JE. (2009). Embryology. In Avner ED, Harmon WE, Niaudet P (Ed.), Pediatric Nephrology. (pp. 3-30). Springer. eScholarID:80433
- Adalat S, Woolf AS, Johnstone KA, Wirsing A, Harries LW, Long DA, Hennekam RC, Ledermann SE, Rees L, vant Hoff W, Marks SD, Trompeter RS, Tullus K, Winyard PJ, Cansick J, Mushtaq I, Dhillon HK, Bingham C, Edghill EL, Shroff R, Stanescu H, Ryffel G, Ellard S, Bockenhauer D. (2009). Hepatocyte Nuclear Factor 1B mutations associate with hypomagnesemia and renal magnesium wasting. J Am Soc Nephrol, 20, 1123-1131. eScholarID:77891 | DOI:10.1681/ASN.2008060633
- Ferrante MI, Romio L, Castro S, Collins JE, Goulding DA, Stemple DL, Woolf AS, Wilson SW. (2009). Convergent extension movements and ciliary function are mediated by ofd1, a zebrafish orthologue of the human oral-facial-digital type 1 syndrome gene. Hum Mol Genet, 18, 289-303. eScholarID:77894 | DOI:10.1093/hmg/ddn356
- Pastorelli L, Wells S, Fray M, Smith A, Hough T, Harfe BD, McManus MT, Smith L, Woolf AS, Cheeseman M, Greenfield A. (2009). Genetic analyses reveal a requirement for Dicer1 in the mouse urogenital tract. Mamm Genome, 20, 140-151. eScholarID:77893 | DOI:10.1007/s00335-008-9169-y
- Price KL, Woolf AS, Long DA. (2009). Unravelling the genetic landscape of urinary bladder development in mice. J Urol, 181, 2366-2374. eScholarID:77892 | DOI:10.1016/j.juro.2009.01.001
- Woolf AS, Gnudi L, Long DA. (2009). Roles of angiopoietins in kidney development and disease. J Am Soc Nephrol, 20, 239-244. eScholarID:80430 | DOI:10.1681/ASN.2008020243
- Caubit X, Lye CM, Martin E, Core N, Long DA, Vola C, Jenkins D, Garratt AN, Skaer H, Woolf AS, Fasano L. (2008). Teashirt 3 is necessary for ureteral smooth muscle differentiation downstream of SHH and BMP4. Development, 135, 3301-3310. eScholarID:77897 | DOI:10.1242/dev.022442
- Kerecuk L, Schreuder MF, Woolf AS. (2008). Renal tract malformations: perspectives for nephrologists. Nat Clin Pract Nephrol, 4, 312-325. eScholarID:80431 | DOI:10.1038/ncpneph0807
- Long DA, Price KL, Ioffe E, Gannon CM, Gnudi L, White KE, Yancopoulos GD, Rudge JS, Woolf AS. (2008). Angiopoietin-1 therapy enhances fibrosis and inflammation following folic acid-induced acute renal injury. Kidney International, 74(3), 300-309. eScholarID:77898 | DOI:10.1038/ki.2008.179
- Pitera JE, Scambler PJ, Woolf AS. (2008). Fras1, a basement membrane-associated protein mutated in Fraser syndrome, mediates both the initiation of the mammalian kidney and the integrity of renal glomeruli. Human Molecular Genetics, 17(24), 3953-3964. eScholarID:77895 | DOI:10.1093/hmg/ddn297
- Woolf AS. (2008). Perspectives on human perinatal renal tract disease. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med, 13, 196-201. eScholarID:80435 | DOI:10.1016/j.siny.2007.10.001
- Burgu B, Medina Ortiz WE, Pitera JE, Woolf AS, Wilcox DT. (2007). Vascular endothelial growth factor mediates hypoxic-stimulated embryonic urinary bladder growth in organ culture. J Urol, 177, 1552-1557. eScholarID:78014 | DOI:10.1016/j.juro.2006.12.011
- Davis B, Dei Cas A, Long DA, White KE, Hayward A, Ku CH, Woolf AS, Bilous R, Viberti G, Gnudi L. (2007). Podocyte-specific, induced overexpression of angiopoietin-2 causes proteinuria and apoptosis of glomerular endothelia. J Am Soc Nephrol, 18, 2320-2328. eScholarID:78012 | DOI:10.1681/ASN.2006101093
- Farrugia MK, Woolf AS, Fry CH, Peebles DM, Cuckow PM, Godley ML. (2007). Radiotelemetered urodynamics of obstructed ovine fetal bladders: correlations with ex-vivo cystometry and renal histopathology. BJU Int, 99, 1517-1522. eScholarID:78013 | DOI:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2007.06799.x
- Jenkins D, Bitner-Glindzicz M, Thomasson L, Malcolm S, Warne SA, Feather SA, Flanagan SE, Ellard S, Bingham C, Santos L, Zinn A, Henkemeyer M, Baker LA, Wilcox DT, Woolf AS. (2007). Mutational analyses of UPIIIA, SHH, EFNB2 and HNF1B in persistent cloaca and associated kidney malformations. J Pediatr Urol, 3, 2-9. eScholarID:78016 | DOI:10.1016/j.jpurol.2006.03.002
- Jenkins D, Winyard PJD, Woolf AS. (2007). Immunohistochemical analysis of sonic hedgehog signalling in normal human urinary tract development. J Anat, 211, 620-629. eScholarID:78009 | DOI:10.1111/j.1469-7580.2007.00808.x
- Jenkins D, Woolf AS. (2007). Uroplakins: new molecular players in the biology of urinary tract malformations. Kidney Int, 71, 195-200. eScholarID:80439 | DOI:10.1038/sj.ki.5002053
- Kerecuk L, Sajoo A, McGregor L, Berg J, Haq MR, Sebire NJ, Bingham C, Edghill EL, Ellard S, Taylor J, Rigden S, Flinter FA, Woolf AS. (2007). Autosomal dominant inheritance of non-syndromic renal hypoplasia and dysplasia: dramatic variation in clinical severity in a single kindred. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 22, 259-263. eScholarID:78019
- Lu W, van Eerde AM, Fan X, Quintero-Rivera F, Kulkarni S, Ferguson H, Kim HG, Fan Y, Xi J, Li QG, Sanlaville D, Andrews W, Sundaresan V, Bi W, Yan J, Giltay JC, Wijmenga C, de Jong TP, Feather SA, Woolf AS, Rao Y, Lupski JR, Eccles MR, Quade BJ, Gusella JF, Morton CC, Maas RL. (2007). Disruption of ROBO2 is associated with congenital anomalies of kidney and urinary tract and confers risk of vesicoureteric reflux. Am J Hum Genet, 60, 616-632. eScholarID:78015
- Price KL, Long DA, Jina N, Liapis H, Hubank M, Woolf AS, Winyard PJ. (2007). Microarray interrogation of human metanephric mesenchymal cells highlights potentially important molecules in vivo. Physiol Genomics, 23, 193-202. eScholarID:78017
- Woolf AS, Hillman KA. (2007). Unilateral renal agenesis and the congenital solitary functioning kidney: developmental, genetic and clinical perspectives. BJU Int, 99, 17-21. eScholarID:80442 | DOI:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2006.06504.x
- Wu C, Thiruchelvam N, Sui G, Woolf AS, Cuckow P, Fry CH. (2007). Ca(2+) regulation in detrusor smooth muscle from ovine fetal bladder after in utero bladder outflow obstruction. J Urol, 177, 776-789. eScholarID:78018 | DOI:10.1016/j.juro.2006.09.070
- Yuan HT, Venkatesha S, Chan B, Deutch U, Mammota T, Sukhatme VP, Woolf AS, Karumanchi SA. (2007). Activation of the orphan endothelial receptor Tie1 modifies Tie2-mediated intracellular signaling and cell survival. FASEB J, 21, 3171-3183. eScholarID:78011 | DOI:10.1096/fj.07-8487com
- Woolf AS, Jenkins D. (2006). Development of the kidney. In Jennette JC, Olson JL, Schwartz MM, Silva FG (Ed.), Heptinstall's Pathology of the Kidney. (pp. 71-95). Philadelphia-New York: Lippincott-Raven. eScholarID:80440
- Woolf AS. (2006). The single kidney. In Stringer MD, Mouriquand PDE, Oldham KT (Ed.), Pediatric Surgery and Urology: Long-Term Outcomes. (pp. 675-682). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. eScholarID:80441
- Burgu B, McCarthy LS, Shah V, Long DA, Wilcox DT, Woolf AS. (2006). Vascular endothelial growth factor stimulates embryonic urinary bladder development in organ culture. BJU Int, 98, 217-225. eScholarID:80446 | DOI:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2006.06215.x
- Chiu MG, Johnson TM, Woolf AS, Dahm-Vicker EM, Long DA, Guay-Woodford L, Hillman KA, Bawumia S, Venner K, Hughes RC, Poirier F, Winyard PJ. (2006). Galectin-3 associates with the primary cilium and modulates cyst growth in congenital polycystic kidney disease. Am J Pathol, 169, 1925-1938. eScholarID:80443 | DOI:10.2353/ajpath.2006.060245
- Jenkins D, Bitner-Glindzicz M, Malcolm S, Allison J, de Bruyn R, Flanagan S, Thomas DF, Belk RA, Feather SA, Bingham C, Southgate J, Woolf AS. (2006). Mutation analyses of Uroplakin II in children with renal tract malformations. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 21, 3415-3421. eScholarID:80445 | DOI:10.1093/ndt/gfl465
- Long DA, Mu W, Price KL, Roncal C, Schreiner GF, Woolf AS, Johnson RJ. (2006). Vascular endothelial growth factor administration does not improve microvascular disease in the salt-dependent phase of post-angiotensin II hypertension. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol, 291, F1248-F1254. eScholarID:80447 | DOI:10.1152/ajprenal.00096.2006
- Woolf AS. (2006). Unilateral multicystic dysplastic kidney. Kindey Int, 69, 190-193. eScholarID:80448 | DOI:10.1038/sj.ki.5000015
- Woolf. (2006). Renal hypoplasia and dysplasia: starting to put the puzzle together. J Am Soc Nephrol, 17, 2647-2649. eScholarID:80444
- Jadeja S, Smyth I, Pitera JE, Taylor MS, van Haelst M, Bentley E, McGregor L, Hopkins J, Chalepakis G, Philip N, Perez Aytes A, Watt FM, Darling SM, Jackson I, Woolf AS, Scambler PJ. (2005). Identification of a new gene mutated in Fraser syndrome and mouse myelencephalic blebs. Nat Genet, 37, 520-525. eScholarID:80451 | DOI:10.1038/ng1549
- Jenkins D, Bitner-Glindzicz M, Malcolm S, Hu CC, Allison J, Winyard PJ, Gullett AM, Thomas DF, Belk RA, Feather SA, Sun TT, Woolf AS. (2005). De novo Uroplakin IIIa heterozygous mutations cause human renal adysplasia leading to severe kidney failure. J Am Soc Nephrol, 16, 2141-2149. eScholarID:80449 | DOI:10.1681/ASN.2004090776
- Tse HK, Leung MB, Woolf AS, Menke AL, Hastie ND, Gosling JA, Pang CP, Shum AS. (2005). Implication of Wt1 in the pathogenesis of nephrogenic failure in a mouse model of retinoic acid-induced caudal regression syndrome. Am J Pathol, 166, 1295-1307. eScholarID:80450 | DOI:10.1016/S0002-9440(10)62349-8
- Welham SJ, Riley PR, Wade A, Hubank M, Woolf AS. (2005). Maternal diet programs embryonic kidney gene expression. Physiol Genomics, 22, 48-56. eScholarID:80452 | DOI:10.1152/physiolgenomics.00167.2004